At Where’s Your Sit, we understand that the science behind animal training is constantly changing and we adapt our methods based on scientific research, experience and common sense. Our clients are continually asking about “quick fixes” and solutions that they see on television. We believe that training is about relationship building, strong leadership skills, structure and setting your pet up for success.
We use humane methods and teach pet owners how to structure their pet’s life so they can be successful. We will not use choke chains, prong collars or shock collars for training on your pet or ours. We will show you how to incorporate discipline when appropriate without actually touching your pet or causing fear.
Years of experience working with rescue dogs and cats has taught Jade how to overcome serious issues using a reward system, leadership skills and teaching our dogs what we want them to do. Rewards are not just food! We use treats to shape behaviours and also a variety of life rewards that include praise, toys, off leash time, play time, movement and plain old every day things that pets value.
Jade regularly attends seminars and conferences on animal behaviour throughout the year to stay current with this evolving field of work.
We highly recommend the following books on animal behaviour and training:
- The Other End of the Leash & For The Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell PhD
- The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- How To Speak Dog by Stanley Coren
- The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
- The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owens
There are also some great websites and blogs available on dog training:
- The Other End of the Leash www.theotherendoftheleash.com
- Dog Star Daily www.dogstardaily.com
- Ask Dr.Yin www.askdryin.com