Christmas can be a very busy time of year and it’s easy to overlook keeping your pets safe in all the excitement. It is important to note though that these busy holiday times are when we are more likely to see a bite to a guest, a sick pet due to ingesting something dangerous (or benign that got stuck) or a lost pet that snuck out an open door with visitors coming through.
At Where’s Your Sit we want everyone to enjoy a safe and happy holiday season! Here’s some tips to make life a little bit easier.
- Teach your dog to go to a bed or their kennel when guests come to the door. This will keep your dog safely out of the way and therefore preventing over excitement and a possible bite at the door and keep your pet securely in your home.
- Avoid bringing home unsafe holiday decorations like Poinsettia plants or tinsel on the tree.
- Place foods and candies safely out of a pet’s reach – including counter tops!
- When many guests are visiting place your pup in a comfortable room with a good bone or stuffed kong to chew. This will keep your pet in a quiet relaxed state and away from all the partying that can often be overwhelming even for the most social pup.
- Ensure your dog is still getting regular exercise. It’s easy to miss that walk when you have a long list of to do’s however a well exercised dog will find it easier to relax and behave.
- Include your pet in family activities like walks to check out Christmas lights, snuggling up watching a holiday classic and fun, short little games with toys inside or out.
And a bit of an update from us! We took all 5 dogs to visit Santa at Bosley’s last weekend. The photos were in support of Spirit’s Mission (find our more about this fantastic organization here). Bet you can’t tell where I’m standing! My girls definitely know how to focus!